Robin Swann is a politician in Northern Ireland who was elected to the Northern Ireland Assembly in 2011. In 2012 he was appointed Ulster Unionist Chief Whip.27th February 2013 he was also appointed Chairman of the Employment and Learning Committee.
He is North Antrim born and bred, educated locally, he lives in the constituency with his wife, Jennifer, young daughter and baby son. He is currently North Antrim Constituency Chairman.
He is an active member of Kells & Connor Community Association and has served as a Board member of the Volunteer Development Agency in Northern Ireland.
He has served as President and County Antrim Chairman of the Young Farmers’ Clubs of Ulster. He has chaired the YFCU’s National Executive and rural Affairs Committees and has been Chairman Rural Youth Europe organisation
Robin was educated at Kells & Connor Primary School,then attended Ballymena Academy class of 1990, before completing a BSc with the Open University, Certificate of Professional Management, Certificate of Mathematics.
- Current Chairman of North Antrim Association of the Ulster Unionist Party 2010 –
- Current Chief Whip of the Ulster Unionist Party. 2012 –
- Current Chairman of the Employment and Learning Committee. 27th Feb 2013 –
- Deputy Chairperson of the Ad-hoc Committee on Conformity with Equality Requirements, Welfare Reform Bill. ceased 29th Jan 2013
- Currently Member of following Stormont Committees; Employment & Learning; Agriculture & Rural Development; Business Committees.
- Has served on the following Stormont Committees; Culture, Arts & Leisure; Office of the First and deputy First Minister.
- Former Treasurer of North Antrim Association of the Ulster Unionist Party 2008 – 2010
- Former Ulster Unionist Party Spokesman on, Culture, Arts & Leisure 2011 – 13/11/2012
- Former Ulster Unionist Party Spokesman on, Energy & Consumer Affairs
- Current Treasurer of Ballymena Division of the Ulster Unionist Party & Secretary/Treasurer of the Kellswater Branch
- Candidate for local election 2005, Assembly 2007 – unsuccessful both occasions.
- Elected to Northern Ireland Assembly 7 May 2011.
- Maiden Speech Northern Ireland Assembly
- Member of the All Party Group on International Development
- Vice-Chair of the All Party Group on Muscular Dystrophy
- Secretary of the All Party Group on football.
- Member of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
- Swann urged the community to “keep up the Jubilee and Twelfth Spirit” by a leading North Antrim Sir Knight and attend the Last Saturday Royal Black demonstration in Larne on 25 August.
- Past Master & Lecturer Ferniskey LOL 115 – Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland
- Past Master Ballylurgan RBP 1192, member Kells & Ferniskey RBP 271 Royal Black Preceptory
- Member Murray Club – Apprentice Boys of Derry
Voluntary & Community Positions/Roles
- Director Slemish Credit Union (retired)
- Director Antrim Agricultural Association (retired)
- Director Volunteer Development Agency (reformed into Volunteer Now)
- Former Director Rural Support
- Director North East, Local Action Group Rural Development Program
- Young Farmers Clubs of Ulster,former Club Leader, Secretary & Treasurer, currently Vice-President Kells & Connor Club, former Chairman & Treasurer of County Antrim Committee, Past President, Deputy President, Vice President, Chairman of the YFCU Rural Affairs Committee.
- Rural Youth Europe, Past Chairman, Vice-chairman, held Finance and Expansion portfolios, formerly Board Member for Region I (Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Republic of Ireland & Malta). During his time as Chairman he led a delegation under the auspices of the United Nations FAO, to Serbia & Kosovo to support the creation of Young Farmers Clubs in those countries, both national organisations have now applied for membership of Rural Youth Europe.
- Chairman & Pipe Sargent of Cromkill Pipe Band
- Member Kells & Connor Community Improvement Assocaition, member of BERCC (Ballymena East Rural Community Cluster), Vice-Chairman of Greater Ballymena Support and Unity Forum.
- Board of Governors of Ballee Community High School.
- Board of Governors of Cambridge House Grammar School